Wednesday, March 23, 2011

March 21, 2011 Letter

I guess something happened with the church email system for a few days because Kiley didn't get any of our letters, even though there were quite a few of us who wrote her. I guess Linda said that a few of her friends' missionaries didn't get their letters either. Weird...? I can tell she is a good missionary by the spirit I feel just by reading her letters. :) I love it when she shares stories like the ones in this email. :)


March 21, 2011

Dear Momma,

I guess we must have come early today or something because there is no letter from you or anyone really. I hope something bad didn't happen. Are you all ok? That is a little worrisome. You are usually so good about doing it the day before. I understand your life is busy though. I just missed hearing from you.

Life here is good. We are still working hard and trying to find more people. This past week felt a little long. It is weird how time works here because it feels like forever, but it also goes super fast. I dont know how to explain it or how it works. We met some crazy people this past week. We knocked on their door and they were like, "Oh, y'all are Mormons. You believe in John Smith who translated that book out of a top hat right?" We laughed and were like, "Not exactly..." They started asking all these questions and were really interested. There was a guy and a girl, and me and Sister Terry ended up teaching them both seperatly. It was crazy! They just fired away questions so we had to divide and conquer. She was really neat and super interested. At the end she looked at me and was like, "Can I have that Book of Momon?" I said, "Yes, of course!" I never have people ask for them! It was a neat experience. We will go back by this week and see what happens. Who knows, maybe they are future members! Justin and his mom keep punching on us, but we are planning to go by tomorrow night. Hopefully they will keep this appointment. You never know with them.

The zone leaders called me this morning and asked me to write a paragraph about a success story we had with How to Begin Teaching. I was stressed out a little bit trying to get it to work. I will paste here what I wrote. Hopefully it was ok because I already sent it, so don't tell me if its super bad! Ok here it is:

We all encounter the "Texas Talker". Down here in Hewitt we run into them alot. One of these "Texas Talkers" is named Cyrinthia Rice. Missionaries have been teaching her son Justin for the past 5 months or so. Sister Rice really likes the message we share and the standards that our church has, but she has never really sat down and been very active in our discussions. She does, however, love to talk. It would seem that whenver we start to get the spirit going really strong in our lessons, Sister Rice comes in with some "interesting" story and wham the spirit is gone. She continues to talk and no matter how hard we try, we can never fully get the spirt back. So when she told us that she would really like to sit down and learn more, we were excited and nervous. We had no idea how to keep her on topic and keep the spirit strong throughout the lesson. When the night came for our lesson, we felt prepared, but we weren't sure if we would be able to share what we had prepared. As we sat down with Sister Rice, our fears were starting to become realities. She was already telling her stories, talking about her "baby" Justin, her hectic work schedule, and the struggles of raising her youngest son, Jordan. Everything and anything. We listened for a bit and then kinda stopped her and started using points from How to Begin Teaching. It was amazing what happened. You could see her mindset sort of shift. She focused in on what we were saying and forgot about all her stories. She still had a few comments here and there throughout the lesson, but there was never a struggle to get her back on subject. She understood the whole lesson and really loved it. We left her house that night with the spirit so strong. What we thought was going to be the hardest lesson ended up being one of the best lessons we have had. It doesn't just end there though, every lesson we have had with her since has gone more smoothly. She now understands what we are there to do and what we expect of her.

Hopefully it's ok. You know how I stress about writing things. I dont like other people to read it unless I feel like it's amazing. I never feel like anything is amazing though. Haha, I'm a writing perfectionist. Your lucky I don't erase and rewrite these emails a thousand times!

We taught Alita again this week. She still hasn't talked to her mom and dad. I dont know what to do about her. I want to smack her upside the head. Oh, here is a funny story: Yesterday we stopped by this white card and the lady had really massacred her bushes...like worse then Dad's totem pole!! They didnt answer the door and as we are walking away, I was looking at those bushes thinking not so nice things, and next thing I know I am on the ground! Hahaha, it was so funny! I hadn't realized that the sidewalk was steps and not straight. So I missed the step and fell hard! It hurt my foot a little bit, but its ok I promise. It was instant Karma!! Sister Terry and I were laughing so hard the rest of the day. It put a hole in my tights and I was a little upset about that. Oh well! It was still super funny...have I said that enough?

Well I love you too much mom and hope your week is good! I miss you lots!
Loves loves hugs kisses,
Sister Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment